Thursday, November 8, 2012

Uganda Mural 2...

When I start a mural I normally roughly sketch out the entire piece with a pencil. I quickly learned that a pencil would quickly wear down on most walls in Uganda. It just wouldn't work at all. Charcoal is pretty common in markets around Jinja. I thought I'd try it out on a small wall. It worked perfect! Of course the first thing I sketched was an octopus. All the Ugandan woman looked at it with a puzzled expression... Having no clue what it was. :)
Now I know that the charcoal worked perfect I sketched out the next local animal. I heard there were water buffalo close by. I didn't see any but I saw many cattle with amazingly large horns. I found an old water tank at a local school and that's where I started painting. Of course the children gathered closely watching every move I made. But they made me continually laugh & smile.

This was the quickest mural I did. Probably because it was in direct hot sunlight.
More murals & Uganda updates to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment