Wednesday, October 5, 2011

South Dakota...

I recently traveled through Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, and up to South Dakota.
Traveling through Nebraska there wasn't much to see until we came upon CarHenge!
Our final destination was Pine Ridge, South Dakota. A Indian Reservation of Dakota and Lakota (Sioux) Native America tribes. Acres and acres of grass lands, small run down trailers and houses. Inside the homes lived amazing families. One small house we visited housed 10+people. The floor boards, wall, windows, furniture, etc were falling apart but the families still were smiling. I sat with a couple of the children on a rock in the dirt and drew with them for an hour or so. A few of the others in the small group of ours worked on rebuilding floorboards and fixing leaking roofs. Later in the day we had a cookout for 30+ people on the reservation, I painted the children's faces, we rode horses, and played basketball. Making connections, sharing stories, and figuring out a possible solution to help those in need. The trip was short but the experience and people I met and connected with will be remembered. I always forget but then I am reminded again that so many things can be accomplished in just one amazing day. To see more pics check out my flickr.
Or to see an amazing slide show of many more photos go check out Project Lighthouse.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see Car Henge is still there. Last time I was there you could buy postcards at Mc Donalds. They kept them behind the counter and you had to ask.

    I was born in Pine Ridge. Hi birthplace.

    ReplyDelete